Unreal Engine is a set of tools that allows game developers to build and design their own games and simulations. It is a complete set of creative tools that enables the users to bring their visualization to life and is perfect for teams of all sizes.
You can create cinematic experiences, high-quality PC and mobile games, VR, and a lot more with the help of this application. And the best part is that the developers can do all this without touching any code as the tools offered are sufficient enough to get started.
In this article, we have highlighted a few features of this amazing development tool and how you can install it on your PC to build your own games and visualizations.
Features of Unreal Engine
Below are a few features of the Unreal Engine which makes it such an amazing tool for the game and experience developers.
One of the best features of Unreal Engine is that it allows the users to utilize the application in the best way to create immersive VR experiences. VR usually requires high framerate rendering and that’s exactly how Unreal Engine helps. It meets the requirements for VR content in AAA games, filmmaking visualization, etc. for all kinds of platforms including PC, mobile, console, and so on.
Another commendable thing about Unreal Engine is that it actually allows you to create a VR content using the VR feature. So, you can literally grab and manipulate objects in the Unreal Engine to build your VR content. The full Unreal editor runs in a VR mode with an advanced motion control feature that is extremely robust and capable.
With Unreal Engine, you are also offered a rendering solution that is perfect for VR. This Forward Renderer tool supports Multisample Anti-aliasing, high-quality lighting features, and so on that help you produce clear, crisp images at 90 FPS.
Another great feature of Unreal Engine is that it allows you to create a game for multiple platforms. So, if you have used this application to build a game then you can move the game to different platforms like iOS, Android, Web, etc. This can reduce your development cost as you can use a single application to make the game available on more than one platform.
Finally, Unreal Engine is a C++ design which gives high performance, advanced CPU/GPU profiling tools, and flexible renderer. All these make it extremely equipped to create quality VR experiences.
Installation Requirements for Unreal Engine
Unreal Engine requires specific hardware and software on your PC so that you can run the application on your desktop. In this section, you can learn about the system requirements that you need on your PC to successfully install the Unreal Engine and use it.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher
- Direct X Version: Direct X End-User Runtimes
Recommended System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows 10, 64-bit
- CPU Processor: Quad-core Intel/AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
- 8 GB RAM
- Direct X Version/Video Card: DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 graphics card
How to Download and Install Unreal Engine on PC
Once you have ensured that your PC meets the minimum requirements for running Unreal Engine, you can go ahead with the download and installation process.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to get started with Unreal Engine download.
Create an Account and Download the Unreal Engine Installer File
Before you download the Unreal Engine installer on PC, you need to start by creating an account for yourself on the Unreal Engine website.
- Head to the official website of Unreal Engine at https://www.unrealengine.com/
- Click on the ‘Get Started Now’ button.
- Fill out the details on the Create Account Form and then click on the ‘Create Account’ button.
- Make sure that you read the Unreal Engine End User License Agreement before you click on the ‘Accept’ button.
- Click on the ‘Proceed to Download’ button to start the download process.
Once you have a valid account, you can start the installer download on your PC.
- Choose your Operating System (Windows or MAC) to start the download.
- Wait for the download to get completed and then head to the download folder where the installation file is saved. Click on the installation file to run the installer.
Install Unreal Engine on Windows and Launch It
- Once you run the installer, you will be shown the ‘Epic Games Launcher Setup’ dialog box. Click on the ‘Install’ button to proceed.
- Follow the installation steps and wait for the Epic Games Launcher program to get installed on your PC.
- After the program is installed, use your login credentials to sign-in.
- Once you have signed-in successfully, click on the ‘Unreal Engine’ option on the right-side menu.
- Next, click on the ‘Install Engine’ button so that the latest version of the Unreal Engine can be installed.
- You will then need to choose a location to install the Unreal Engine. There is also a default option that you can choose. Click on the ‘Install’ button once the location is set and then wait for the installation to get completed. Depending on your system specifications, this process can take anywhere between 10-40 minutes.
- After the installation is complete, you can click on the ‘Launch’ button.
Install Unreal Engine on MAC and Launch It
- If you have MAC OS, then you will need to first download the installation file for MAC and then double-click on the .dmg icon to open a new Finder window.
- Next, you need to move the Epic Games Launcher dmg icon to the Applications folder.
- Once the Epic Games Launcher application is launched, sign-in to your account and then click on the Unreal Engine tab.
- Click on ‘Install Engine’ to install the latest version and then wait for the installation to be completed. Launch once it successfully installs.
Unreal Engine is now successfully installed on your PC and is ready to use!