Nintendo 64, aka Project Reality and Ultra 64, is a video game console and was developed by Nintendo and Silicon Graphics. Nintendo 64 used the cartridge system for memory, unlike other game consoles that used CD at the time. They believed that cartridge was a safer and durable option as CDs tend to get scratched and become obsolete.
|FULL NAME:||Nintendo 64 ROMS|
|FILE SIZE||2.9 MB|
What really made Nintendo 64 popular was the release of the Super Mario 64 game that included several amazing effects included on the CD. While N64 is not popular anymore, the games are still popular among gamers and incite a lot of excitement around the world.
Thankfully, you can still play N64 games without needing to own the console. You can simply use N64 ROMs with the emulators to play this game on any device. An N64 ROM contains a copy of the original game that can be played on any device with the help of an emulator.
Top 5 N64 Emulators
Do you want to play N64 games on your PC too? If yes, then here is a list of the top 5 N64 emulators that can help you play most N64 game titles easily on your chosen device.
Project64 is the best Nintendo 64 emulator for Windows and is a completely free and open-source tool. With this emulator, you can customize keyboard controls, add external gamepad, change graphics settings, etc.
There is also Mupen64Plus that works on Linux, Windows, Mac, and Android systems. This emulator is used via the command line and can play any game that the Project64 emulator is unable to run.
This is an all-in-one emulator that can be used on Mac, Linux, and Windows systems. A few amazing features of this emulator includes rewinding, netplay, machine translations, and so on.
Another perfect N64 emulator that works well on Apple products is OpenEmu which offers multi-console support. And this emulator scans your computer for game files and organizes them efficiently.
BizHawk is another amazing Nintendo 64 emulator that can be used to play games from different consoles like PlayStation, Sega Saturn, etc. It features tool-assisted speedruns to shorten the game duration.
How to run N64 Roms on an emulator
Installing the N64 emulator to play the N64 game ROMs on your device is quite easy and simple. Here is what you need to do to start playing N64 titles on any device.
- First, select a good N64 emulator that is compatible with your system and then download the installer from a trusted website.
- After the download is complete, extract the contents of the .zip file and then double-click on the installer to start the installation process.
- Follow all the installation steps as shown on the screen and configure the settings to fit your controller and desktop resolution.
- Next, download a few N64 game ROMs from a trusted website to run on the emulator.
- Once the download is complete, extract the contents of the .zip file and save the game ISO files on the desktop.
- Launch the N64 emulator and open the game ISO files on it to start playing the game.
- Your games will be displayed on the emulator now so you can run a game anytime you want.