FreeFileSync is an Open-source software that compares folders and synchronizes between them. It creates and also manages a second copy of the files and folder which are important to the user.
This software can determine the difference between Source File and Target File and accordingly transfers the important data.
|FULL NAME:||FreeFileSync for Windows|
|FILE SIZE||14.8 MB|
What is FreeFileSync?
This software is based on the concept of file-synchronization. Basically, the data or file is stored in two or more different locations using simple fundamental rules.
In one-way file synchronization, the updated files are copied to the target location without copying it back to the source location, hence also called mirroring.
File-Synchronization, aka backing up, allows the user to back up the data and files on external drives or phones. It involves security when the data is backed up over the internet. It also gives the user the ability to edit and makes changes in the files across multiple computers or OS.
The user can also compress the data to a smaller size and then send it across the network. The file-synchronization concept prevents the users from creating individual back up for any single file.
Key Features of FreeFileSync
- Free Download:-Users can download this powerful syncing tool for free and installation is simple and given below. Though users can donate a small amount of money to support the developers and encouraging them to make similar software in the future.
- Cross-Platform:- Now users don’t have to worry about Operating System Compatibility issue since this software works with three major OS which are the Linux, Mac and the Windows
- Locking System: – Now multiple users can be serialized in order of accessing a folder or file using the file locking system.
- Linguistic Support: – Now this software is available in 30+ languages all over the world. Now users won’t have any difficulty in using this software due to linguistics.
- Keeping History: – Users can easily keep the history of deleted/moved/changed files all over the computer, and also there is no artificial limitation for moving/syncing of files as stated on their official site, users can sync up to 1.7 million file pair at a time.
- Synchronization: – Users can synchronize on different folders using the network share and local drives and different devices such as phones, tablets, iPods, and digital cameras using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
Installation Requirements for FreeFileSync
FreeFileSync runs on all 32 and 64-bit Windows versions such as Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
This software is also compatible with all recent editions of macOS including macOS 10.15 / 10.14 / 10.13 / 10.12 / or OS X 10.11 / 10.10 / 10.9 / 10.8
You can use also this software on all major Linux distributions such as CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Mint, SUSE, Ubuntu.
How to Download and Install FreeFileSync for PC
- You can download the FreeFileSync from its official site. Select the Windows version and click on the download option to download the installer.
- Click on the installer and follow the instructions to begin the installation.
- As the installation is finished, click Finish to exit the installer.
Double click on the .exe file either on desktop or on the location where you installed the application, your application will start.
- FreeFileSync isn’t in the Ubuntu repository and the official PPA isn’t maintained anymore. We need to manually download and install it. Go to the FreeFileSync download page. Select the Linux version.
- Once downloaded, open file manager, navigate to the download folder. Then right-click on the tar.gz file and select extract here.
- The content will be extracted to a new folder FreeFileSync in the current folder. In that folder, you will see two executable binaries: FreeFileSync and RealTimeSync.
- Double-click the FreeFileSync binary and the program will run.
For Mac OS
- The FreeFileSync can be downloaded from its official site. Select the Mac OS version and click on the download option to download two program files and two text files.
- After the downloading of the files make an empty folder in the Applications folder and name it according to your work need.
- Just copy the files from the downloaded location to this new location.
- If an update is available in the future then you will have to delete the previous program and text files and then download the new ones in place of that, though your previous sync information will remain.