Audacity is an open-source audio editor software developed by The Audacity Team. The software was released in 2000 and had over 120 million downloads as of 2015 with combined downloads from Google Code and SourceForge. It currently supports only 32-bit or 64-bit VST audio effects plug-in, and that depends on the type of architecture. The software does not work on both kinds of architecture at the same time. The 32-bit is for Windows and the 64-bit is for macOS. The software is capable of translating in 36 languages.
|FULL NAME:||Audacity 2.1.2|
|FILE SIZE||1.8 GB|
Features of Audacity
- Recording: Users can record their sound files directly on Audacity. The user can record their sounds through a microphone or a mixer and work on the software. Users can also digitize their audio files from other media too. Users can also use the Scrubbing feature with a version 2.1.1 or later dates. Also, users can schedule the time recorder as to when the recording should start and to end if the user is unable to attend the recording. The software is also loaded with a MIDI playback of version 2.2.0 onwards and also Punch-and-Roll recording with version 2.3.0 onwards.
- Export/Import: Users can import or export audio files in Audacity. User can also work on combining audio files too and can export in one file or multiple files of recordings as well in different formats.
- Sound Quality: The software supports 16-bit, 24-bit and also 32-bit formats. Every kind of sample rates and formats in the software are converted using high-quality sampling and also dithering.
- Plug-ins: The software supports different kinds of plugins like LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit Effect Plugins. Users can easily modify their effects on a text editor or can write their own kind of effects. Noise reduction, adjusting audio pitch can also be made while maintaining speed and also be able to adjust audio speed.
- Editing: Users can copy, delete, paste, do unlimited sequential undo and redo in the software to trace back to a number of steps. Also contains navigation controls, single track edits, zoom, XY project navigation, project pane, destructive and non-destructive effect processing, amplitude and envelope editing. Users can also add precise adjustments to their audio files at the same time while maintaining pitch to synchronize it with the video files simultaneously. Users can also convert cassette or tapes into digital files by allowing users to split the audio source into multiple tracks by basing on the silences in the source material.
- Multi-track Mixing: The software supports multi-channel mode with up 96kHz with 32 bits per sample types of the sampling rate.
- Compatibility: The software works on Windows, macOS and other Unix type systems.
Installation Requirements for Audacity
To install Audacity on PC, met the following:
- PC – Make sure that your PC is on Windows 7 or higher with at least 4 GB of RAM.
- Compatibility Mode is enabled.
How to Download Audacity on Windows
Follow the below steps to download and install Audacity on your PC:
- Go to Audacity’s website, and go to Downloads.
- Click on Download Now.
- Select ‘Save’ to download the program. The file will be saved in the Downloads folder.
- If you want to save in a specified folder on your desktop, then click on ‘Save As’ and select the folder you want the program to be saved.
- After the download is complete click on the .exe file.
- The installation process will start.
- Run the installation package.
- Wait until the update completes
- Follow the Windows installation instructions and select options accordingly.
- Click on Finish to complete the installation.
- The program icon will appear on the desktop.
- Select the icon to start the application.